Sunday, January 16, 2005

Love Lessons

Ahh, Love. What a confusing thing to me. I mean, what's the point? To love and be loved is the greatest feeling in the world, but why does it seem to inevitably lead to pain and/or confusion? Why are we fed the "true love, happily ever after" myth from every different angle imaginable? It's a lie! True love is not being attached to the same person for "ever", IMO. I still haven't figured out what it actually is, how it actually works, but some quotes-of-the-day might help....

"Real love hurts, real love makes you totally open and vulnerable. Real love will take you far behind yourself,and therefore real love will devastate you. If love doesn't shatter you, you will not know love" -Anonymous

"One does not kill oneself for love of a woman, but because love - any love - reveals us in our nakedness, our misery, our vulnerability, our nothingness" -Cesare Pavese

But then again....
"If there is anything better than to be loved it is loving." -Anonymous

"When you come right down to it, the secret of having it all is loving it all." -Dr. Joyce Brothers

"Love doesn't make the world go 'round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile." --Franklin P. Jones

"The means to gain happiness is to throw out from oneself like a spider in all directions an adhesive web of love, and to catch in it all that comes" -Leo Tolstoy

"We conceal it from ourselves in vain - we must always love something. In those matters seemingly removed from love, the feeling is secretly to be found, and man cannot possibly live for a moment without it." -Blaise Pascal


Oh, I'm sure there are millions and millions more great quotes, but these few stand out to me right now. They speak to my heart and tell me that loving is ok, it is wonderful, it is necessary....my confusion will only serve to distract me from love. The issues within that I deal with daily are mental ones that need not stand in the way of my love for all. Life is for loving, that much is certain. How we choose to express that love is what life is all about.

Let no dam restrict the majestic river that flows through all of our hearts!

No comments: